Friday, October 22, 2010

Brian Explains: Change

I hate change. When I buy my hair gel at the local Quicky Mart, I hate it when I get a bunch of change back. All the pennies and nickels jingling in my pocket just wind up annoying me. I feel like a janitor with all his keys hanging from his belt jingling down an echoing hallway. Having said this, coins are not the kind of change I will be talking about. Therefore, in the next paragraph I will be talking about dealing with change in your life (as opposed to the change of life - which I will not be talking about).

As is said by people who want to tell you what to do, change is a good thing. Especially if you are a drug using alcoholic who likes to murder people, change is definitely something to look into. Without change, we would all live in the same house, drive the same car, go to the same job, eat the same food, and die the same death - being electrocuted by the toaster we should have thrown out years ago.

People who never change are doomed to repeat themselves. Today, the same thing as yesterday. Tomorrow, the same thing as today. Next week, someone might try to force you to go to a wedding, but you'll find a way to get out of it. When you drive to work, you drive the same way everyday. I can't drive the same way everyday because I need to avoid traffic on the freeways. I actually prefer driving different ways to work just to make it interesting.

Hoarders come to mind when I talk about disliking change. They fear change so they refuse to throw things out (along with not wanting themselves to leave the house). The goal of their mental game that is their life is to keep things from changing the least. You get bonus points if the nasty smell of your house keeps people from visiting you.

I am sure in a future article I will talk about the importance of routine, but this is not that article so get over it. Routine is important for your health and well being. You need to brush your teeth, shower, and play with your cats on a regular basis to maintain your health. That doesn't mean that those routines take over your life and there is no room for change, though.

Embrace change. Give it a huge hug and let change know you value it. Feed change everyday to make sure that your life doesn't starve to death from a lack of excitement. If you think the same way your whole life and never leave your house in Nebraska, you will die a slow and boring death. Get out of Nebraska and start embracing the change of scenery. You can only stare at cows in a field for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment